*RUT*and buying a car guide in Santiago Chile

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 07/27/2016 - 13:00

*RUT*and buying a car guide in Santiago Chile

It is not complicated to buy a car in Chile if you do it right: 

First you will need to get a RUT and have it sponsored by a chilean resident. 

Than you will need to look for a good car on Chileautos, yapo or at the car dealerships. don't look for ridicolus prices as they are all "surprise cars".  the more expansive car you look for = less unpleasent surprises. 

Watch out for cars that comes from bad areas as they will probably have mechanichal and paperwork issues, or fines. 

After you've found a car that seems ok, check it at a good reliable garage (even if you're a mechanic yourself, never buy a car without lifting it on a ramp and having it checked with proper equipment)

Bargain for the price of the car but don't burn the deal if you like the car, it is possible to bargain up to 10% of the price depending on your skills.

Go to a reliable notary that handels foreigners and transfer the car. (make sure to have a mailing address for the ownership documents that will arrive 1-2 months later)  make sure to get a permit to exit Chile with the car until the padron arrives.

Make sure there are no mistakes in your passport number,name and all other details. 

Find a good insurance company and get an international insurance.

Get a tag(electronic cheap) for driving the highways in and out of santiago without getting fines.  the company is called Constanera Norte. 

Plan your trip so you cross the borders at the easier and faster locations. Get an offline GPS software and maps.

You are ready to go !





Image icon Suzi-no-image.gif17.45 KB
Sat, 09/17/2016 - 08:11

(No subject)

Fri, 12/16/2016 - 09:23



Sun, 01/15/2017 - 16:24



Mon, 02/13/2017 - 18:20



Sat, 02/18/2017 - 13:06



Tue, 02/28/2017 - 12:08



Mon, 03/20/2017 - 09:12

(No subject)

Mon, 03/20/2017 - 15:22

RUT for foreigners - NEW LAW

There is a new law in Chile for everyone who is a stranger (dosent have a chilean residency).

If you buy a chilean car (dosent matter is it liberado) and if you are not a chilean resident (you need permanent RUT) you will be NOT ABLE TO CROSS A BORDER.

You can drive that car ONLY in Chile!

Mon, 03/20/2017 - 15:33 (Reply to #9)

Not correct

This is not correct. You can exit with a notarized document saying you will bring back the vehicle in 180 days. We also provide our clients with this document. So far 100% of our clients have exited chile with no issues.

Mon, 03/20/2017 - 15:57 (Reply to #10)

Do you have any link where I

Do you have any link where I could find this information?

I have been today in Aduana in Punta Arenas and they told me what I wrote before.
There were some people in Magellan area who had problems on the border and they couldnt leave the country.

Mon, 03/20/2017 - 16:08 (Reply to #11)

Here is the law: https://www

Here is the law: https://www.aduana.cl/capitulo-4-salida-de-mercancias/aduana/2007-02-16/...

The article we are talking about is: 17.2.3

The other law that affects is this one: https://www.aduana.cl/aduana/

Our clients are crossing the borders fast and easy with the permits we make.


Mon, 03/20/2017 - 16:18 (Reply to #12)

I found this 17.2.3

I found this 17.2.3

Which one is the other that affects? the link doesnt work.

Thanks for that information!
I will go tomorow to aduana to talk about that. It looks like they do not know their law very well.


Mon, 03/20/2017 - 16:27 (Reply to #13)

Leave the aduanas alone. All

Leave the aduanas alone. All you need to do is to go to a notary and make a document saying you obligate to return the vehicle in 180 days.