Chilean Car - Replacement Padron?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mon, 06/17/2013 - 19:41

Chilean Car - Replacement Padron?

Anybody know...

Is it possible to acquire a replacement Padron for a vehicle?
Can it be done from outside of Chile?

(long story) an asshole car salesman has our Padron and is more or less holding it ransom. Looking for alternative solutions...

Mon, 04/17/2017 - 21:05

Normally within Chile a

Normally within Chile a replacement padron can be supplied to the lawful owner who can supply a legitimate carnet (CI) showing legal residency in Chile, by going to a Registro Civil.

The Registro Civil is a national agency and their database is available for vehicles anywhere in the country.  The Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores is also a national agency and has been known to act as a Registro Civil agency in other countries. But not always.   (It is important to note that the annual driving permission (permiso de circulacion)  is not a national matter but one for the local municipalidad or "comuna.")

If you have a CI you can take it to a Chilean embassy or consulate that has Registro Civil authority and usually get a duplicate padron.   But be advised that you should first contact the embassy/consulate to be certain they will accept your CI. 

If you don't have a Chilean CI then things get sticky.   But contact that CL embassy/consulate anyway.