Renew Temp Vehicle Permit and tourist visa

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 10/30/2013 - 13:33

Renew Temp Vehicle Permit and tourist visa


Does anyone know if you can renew your tourist visa and your temporary vehicle permit in Mexico without crossing the border? We have heard that it is possible to renew a tourist visa at an immigration office, but we are not clear if you need to do so within 30 days of your visa's expiration date or not? We have also heard that if you change your visa status you need to contact aduana within 14 days to extend your temporary vehicle permit. Has anyone tried renewing their visa and vehicle import permit while in Mexico? Any advice is greatly appreciated.


Birds of Passage

Thu, 11/07/2013 - 13:36

Visa and Vehicle Importation Permit 'renewal"

If you are travelling in the country on a tourist visa, you must take the vhicle out of the country within 180 days. The ability to extend is limited to those who have the status of FM2, the former FM3 or Imigrado. The reference to contacting the aduana within 14 days of your visa status change also only applied to those who have more than a tourist visa. 


I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear - but, hey - a quick trip to the US, Guatemala or Belize border isn't all bad!

Good Luck

Kate Hart Highfield

San Felipe Campground

San Felipe del Agua, Oaxaca